Simplified renewal process

Coming soon—we’re moving to

We’re almost ready to launch the new passport section on This change will make it easier to find the passport information you need.

Select your profile:

Canadians abroad


You are eligible for simplified renewal if:

  • you were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application;
  • your name on the application form is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport;
  • you submit a previous Canadian passport that:
    • was/is valid for 5 or 10 years;
    • is not damaged;
    • was never reported lost or stolen; and
    • is still valid or expired for no more than one year.

What to submit

You must include the following in your renewal request:

  • a completed Simplified Renewal Abroad Passport Application (PPTC 482, PDF, 417 KB);
  • your most recent passport (still valid or expired for no more than one year);
  • the required fee; and
  • two recent photos. The photos do not need to be signed by anyone, but on the back of one photo must appear:
    • the name and address of the photographer or studio, and
    • the date the photos were taken.

You do not have to resubmit proof of Canadian citizenship, supplementary identification or guarantor information.


Your previous passport will be cancelled at the time you submit your application and can no longer be used for travel. If you submit a passport for renewal that contains a valid visa, you must indicate on the application form that you want the passport returned to you and advise us that the visa needs to remain intact (inform the agent verbally if you apply in person, or include a letter with an application submitted by mail or at a receiving agent).

How to apply

Canadians abroad may apply in person at a Government of Canada passport issuing office abroad.

The processing times are the same for all types of applications.

Complete the Simplified Renewal Abroad Passport Application form (PPTC 482, PDF, 417 KB) for Canadians applying outside of Canada.


Footnote 1

The following regions must conform to same regulations as the United States: Bermuda, American Samoa, the Midway Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Return to the first 1 footnote referrer