Documents to support identity

Starting October 20, 2014, the name that appears in the passport will be the same name that is on the proof of Canadian citizenship. There are some exceptions.

There are no exceptions for child applications. For all children under 16, passports will be issued in the same name that is on the proof of Canadian citizenship.

Also, there will be new requirements for supporting identity documents and for legal name changes. Find out how these requirements affect your adult passport application.

Select your profile:

Canadian in Canada

Adults must submit at least one (1) document to support their identity with a passport application. For a child, only the proof of Canadian citizenship is required.

The adult's identity document must:

  • include your name
  • include your sex
  • include your date of birth
  • include a photo of yourself
  • include your signature;
  • be issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state government authority or equivalent abroad; and
  • be valid.

For example:

  • Provincial or territorial (or equivalent abroad) driver's licence
  • Provincial or territorial non-driver's licence
  • Other federal, provincial or territorial identification card
  • Military identification
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Federal, provincial or territorial employee identification card
  • Canadian passportFootnote 2
  • Foreign passport that meets the requirements

Applicants who are not able to provide a single piece of identification that meet all the requirements, may submit more than one piece of identification which, when combined, fulfill all the requirements.

Surname change

Applicants who wish to change their surname on a passport in the context of a relationship must submit one (1) of the following documents with their application:

For example:

  • a marriage certificate; or
  • a common-law relationship certificate; or
  • a court order (i.e. separation agreement or divorce order/judgement) issued by a court of law in or outside Canada; or
  • a certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship; or
  • a resumption of surname certificate.

Legal name change

Applicants who have had a legal name change must obtain a new birth certificate or citizenship certificate issued in the new name prior to applying for a passport.


  • You may submit original documents. They will be returned to you.

  • If you are submitting photocopies, you must copy both sides of the document and have your guarantor sign and date the photocopies (both sides) to indicate the originals have been seen. If you are submitting photocopies (both sides) but are using form PPTC 132, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" (available from any Passport Canada office or by telephone), or are using form PPTC 326, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor for a Travel Document", the official who signs the "Declaration" must also sign and date the photocopies of your identification to indicate the originals have been seen.

  • An official translation in English or French must be provided with any documents that are written in another language.

  • If you have no documents to support your identity:

Failure to provide the proper documentation will result in the application being rejected.


Footnote 1

Canadians in the following regions must use the same forms and follow the same rules as Canadians in the United States: Bermuda, American Samoa, the Midway Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Return to first 1 footnote referrer

Footnote 2

A previous Canadian passport may be used as supporting identification as long as all the following conditions are met:

  • the passport is either still valid, or is being submitted up to one year after its expiry date;
  • the passport is submitted with the application form. You must submit the original passport if it is still valid. If it is expired (for no more than one year), we will accept the original passport or a photocopy that is certified by the guarantor; and
  • the name indicated in the passport is the same as the one on the application form.

Return to first footnote 2 referrer